Album: Xiu Xiu, Always (Bella Union)
Sunday 26 February 2012
Xiu Xiu have been knocking around under the radar for a decade now, and Always may well be the Californians' finest yet.
In a vulnerable vibrato pitched midway between Antony Hegarty and Feargal Sharkey, Jamie Stewart delivers thoughtful, often harrowing lyrics – topics include an Afghan boy murdered for sport by US soldiers – invariably over a thunderous electro backing which has you imagining peak-era New Order waking up amid the horrors of the new millennium. Magnificent.
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields
- 4 Amy Winehouse unpublished 2004 interview: ‘Ten years from now I’ll be 30, so I’ll maybe have one baby’
- 5 Dutch paedophile club to fight their ban at the European Court of Human Rights
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains