Album: Yuck, Yuck (Fat Possum/Pharmacy)
Three years ago, Daniel Blumberg and Max Bloom were recording tracks for Cajun Dance Party's splendid The Colourful Life in between sitting their A-levels.
With CDP unaccountably failing to capture the public's imagination, they've now moved on to form Yuck, whose unappetising name conceals music that squares a most unusual circle, in rendering joyous a blend of grungey riffs, shoegazey drones and keening guitar hooks. The secret is their infallible way with a tune: tracks such as "Get Away" and the single "Georgia" possess a beguiling melodic charm that illuminates the lo-fi boy/girl vocal delivery of Blumberg and his sister Ilana, bringing uplift where once all might have been gloom. In their lighter, more winsome moments, the gentle arpeggiations and harmonies of "Shook Down" and "Suicide Policeman" recall Teenage Fanclub.
DOWNLOAD THIS Get Away; Georgia; Operation; Shook Down
Arts & Ents blogs
The episode begins with Finn (Cory Monteith) at college, partying and accidentally participating in ...
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.