IoS album review: Erin McKeown, Manifestra (TVP)
Sunday 13 January 2013
The redoubtable Massachusetts-based singer-songwriter brings her politics to bear on her singer-songwriting. "Baghdad to the Bayou", "The Jailer", "The Politician" – you may deduce from the titles she is no ranting Romneyshambles.
She's an oblique writer and arranger, though, often interesting, never predictable. For examples of her greatest virtues, see the title track and "Delight/Divide" (but don't expect withering vocal charisma).
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scientists create transparent mouse complete with see-through organs
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Amazonian Indian tribe filmed making contact with Brazil village in rare video footage
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
- < Previous
- Next >