Lovebox, Victoria Park, London E3
Get into the groove at the capital's dance music festival
Saturday 09 June 2012
It's 10 years since Groove Armada cannily tapped into the boutique festival zeitgeist and launched Lovebox on Clapham Common. It has since relocated to Victoria Park in Hackney and is now firmly established as celebration of discerning dance music (contemporary and classic), and London's endlessly innovating club culture. On Friday, Lovebox pays homage to the capital with cuddly disco-funk nerds Hot Chip, and Skream & Benga's chart-busting Magnetic Man.
Saturday welcomes Friendly Fires dance-y, disco-y indie pop, a rare Groove Armada live show, London Elektricity's euphoric drum & bass and Little Dragon's beguiling electro-pop. Sunday's a tribute to US heavyweights who laid dance music's foundations including Chaka Khan and show-stopping Warhol-muse Grace Jones. Away from the main stage, Lovebox offers delights such as NYC Downlow's fabulous, dilapidated New York tenement block hosting wild parties. Moustaches optional.
(0844 844 0444; lovebox.net) Fri to 17 Jun
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
David Bowie premieres politically-charged music video for ‘I’d Rather Be High’
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration