McBusted, The O2, gig review: A huge energetic romp of a reunion
Monster six-headed reunion is undeniably huge, healing fun
Friday 25 April 2014
Growing up, I hated first poppy punks Green Day, then punky poppers Blink-182 and their ilk, and then the even further sanitised pop-punk boybands Busted and McFly.
But time softens youthful rancour and in retrospect, I have to tooth-grittingly admit the songs of the latter two at least were good. And this monster, six-headed amalga-reunion of the two bands is undeniably huge, healing fun.
They open with Busted's fantasy-lusty 'Air Hostess', descending to the stage from a model Delorean and bouncing onto a ring-shaped walkway.
Like all the songs tonight, it sounds better with the thickness of multiple guitars and voices, less teeny-tinny and whiny.
Indeed the only mark against McBusted in this hugely enthusiastic, energetic romp of a show is that with two bands' songs to get through, you'd have had thought they'd have had less time for limp jokes like “Give yourselves the clap”.
But all is forgiven when they perform 'Star Girl“ on a flying saucer-shaped B-stage that descends from the ceiling.
The out of this world jokes make themselves.
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Ed Miliband's 'north London set' must be demolished to save Labour, say critics