Preview: Various Artists, Roll With Me, Henry: Chart Toppin' Doo Woppin' Volume 2 (Label: Rev-Ola)
The R&B vocal group tradition has soundtracked the black American experience from the days of The Inkspots and The Mills Brothers through to Boyz II Men and N'Sync, but its heyday was unquestionably in the Forties and Fifties by what became known as "doowoop" groups.
This compilation features a host of classics, including perennial sock-hop show-closers such as The Penguins' "Earth Angel" and The Spaniels' "Goodnite Sweetheart Goodnite", The Five Keys' racially frivolous (but fun) "Ling Ting Tong", and The Chords' limber original of "Sh-Boom".
The Du-Droppers' "I Found Out" from 1953 captures a perfect blend of ther vocal tradition of The Mills Brothers with the jump-blues of Louis Jordan and chicken-shack boogie R&B of Amos Milburn, while the great Hank Ballad is featured on The Royals' "Work With Me Annie" and The Midnighters' "Annie Had A Baby".
To order any CD previewed here, call the Independent Music Service on 01634 832 789.
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
- 5 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Cumberbacklash: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange riles Marvel fans
Best horror films of all time
Benedict Cumberbatch imagines 'explosive' Sherlock sex scene in graphic detail
Downton Abbey season 5 episode 6 - review: Thomas and Lady Edith show sad signs of the times
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything