Network: Web design: It's time to de-junk those Web pages
Don't faze your Web site-visitor with a clutter of useless information. Instead, draw up some easy-to-surf menus. Here's how
Monday 24 August 1998
Net-surfers rarely take the time to read an entire Web page. Instead, they scan across the screen for relevant information. Yet, human beings can process only so much information at a time. With cluttered Web pages, visitors must wade through dozens or hundreds of links in order to find that one path to the information they desire.
Anything designers can do to aid the visitor's ability to scan through a page (organising links in lists and showing the lists only when the visitor needs them) will improve the usability of their website.
First, we set up a frames document with a thin frame stretching across the top of the window that will hold our menu(s), and then a larger frame underneath to display our content:|
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones season 5: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as it’s not him
Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures