Obituary: Dorothea Brooking
Saturday 10 April 1999
First, her quite extraordinary ability to produce children. In the days when there was no recording and all drama had to be transmitted live, performing was a very exacting and terrifying experience. For young children who had never experienced it before, it must have been little short of terrifying. However, Dorothea had the ability to bring out the very best from them. I have seen her extract the most moving performances from children of 12 and 13 who by the time they had been through her exacting rehearsals gave the impression of being highly experienced professionals.
Secondly, since June Averill mentions Prunella Scales's performance as Martha in the second production of The Secret Garden, we should remember who played Martha in the first production. When Dorothea was casting in 1952, she went up to Manchester and interviewed a young girl who had been a child actress in radio drama. This pretty girl had decided to give up acting, but Dorothea persuaded her to defer her retirement and come to London to play Martha. The performance she gave was stunning and made a deep impression on other television producers. But for Dorothea, we should probably never have heard of Billie Whitelaw.
Arts & Ents blogs
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Q&A by Simon Calder: How far could it have travelled? Who was responsible and what would their plans be? And how can a plane just vanish?
- 4 California man Christopher Viatafa surrenders to police after googling own name and discovering himself listed as ‘most wanted’
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers