For the blindfold games, the players execute their moves by blipping a mouse on the relevant squares of a chessboard on a computer screen. There has been a good crop of blunders , with several pieces thrown away by players forgetting the precise position.
In other games, however, the blindfold grandmasters have shown exceptionally clear sight of the board. In this one Black defended well against the first wave of White's attack, but the second wave, with h4, h5 and h6, seemed to catch him by surprise:
White: Joel Lautier
Black: Anatoly Karpov
1 d4 Nf6 18 Qh5 Qc7
2 c4 e6 19 Rc1 Bd7
3 Nf3 b6 20 Bd2 Bb5
4 a3 Bb7 21 Bc2 Be2
5 Nc3 d5 22 Rhe1 Bxf3
6 Qc2 dxc4 23 Qxf3 b5
7 e4 c5 24 h4 Re7
8 d5 exd5 25 Rxe7 Qxe7
9 exd5 Bd6 26 h5 Re8
10 Bg5 0-0 27 h6 gxh6
11 0-0-0 Nbd7 28 Re1 Qd8
12 Bxc4 Qb8 29 Rh1 b4
13 Kb1 a6 30 axb4 cxb4
14 Ne4 Nxe4 31 Rxh6 a5
15 Qxe4 Re8 32 Bxh7+ Nxh7
16 Qg4 Nf8 33 Qg4+ Kh8
17 Bd3 Bc8 34 Qf5 1-0
Arts & Ents blogs
There is a good many moments in the second episode of this psychological thriller that deserve refle...
The opening titles squeal ‘Never Can Say Goodbye…’. Oh Lord how I wish I could heave this series off...
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.