Saturday 17 August 1996
North opened 1# and South responded 1!. A seven-card suit is always exciting, and North rated his hand as worth a rebid of 3#. As there was no clear route ahead, South bid 3NT and all passed.
West led 2J and declarer could see problems in establishing the long diamond suit. If he continued with a low diamond to the jack, it might be possible for both defenders to hold off. Then, with only two outside entries to the table, the suit could not be used.
It seemed a little better to rely on a 3-2 break in diamonds, so declarer led #Q from dummy at trick two. Then, with the lead still on the table, it would not matter if both defenders held off. It did not work out like that. West won the diamond lead but, when the suit broke 4-1, it could not be brought in and South made only eight tricks.
A better chance was to come to hand with !A first and then lead #J. Can you see the point? If West has to win with a singleton honour, the diamonds can be used and, if West is able to play low, declarer can overtake and rely on a 3-2 break in the suit.
It may look dangerous to release !A, but South's hearts are just good enough. If East wins a diamond lead and plays hearts, South simply covers whatever is led, and can lose at most two tricks in the suit.
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >