Saturday 20 April 1996
Wefz wxq ksx ktxbns ghuz ou owlyzs xbkdsg?
Answers (not in code, please) to arrive by 1 May to: Pastimes, the Independent, 1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5DL. The first correct reply opened on that date will win a Larousse Desk Reference Encyclopedia.
And here's a clue, if you need one: 1847-1931.
6 April answer:
Shrew (The opening letters of each word spell out "Now reverse order with endings"; reversing the order of the final letters of the words of that sentence gives the answer.)
Winner: Richard Parker (Sheffield).
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world