Saturday 20 April 1996
Wefz wxq ksx ktxbns ghuz ou owlyzs xbkdsg?
Answers (not in code, please) to arrive by 1 May to: Pastimes, the Independent, 1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5DL. The first correct reply opened on that date will win a Larousse Desk Reference Encyclopedia.
And here's a clue, if you need one: 1847-1931.
6 April answer:
Shrew (The opening letters of each word spell out "Now reverse order with endings"; reversing the order of the final letters of the words of that sentence gives the answer.)
Winner: Richard Parker (Sheffield).
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 British tourists 'murdered' in Thailand: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Vivienne Westwood says 'Yes' to Scottish Independence by declaring: 'I hate England'
- 3 Welcome to Cameroon, where drinking Baileys can lead to imprisonment
- 4 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 5 Vogue under fire for 'Big Booty' article