If COMIC equals 222, TEPID equals 299 and TIMID equals 115, what is the value of HOPES?
A copy of Chambers Encyclopaedic Dictionary awaits the first correct answer opened on 23 November. Entries to: Saturday Pastimes, The Independent, 1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5DL.
28 October answers:
1) 6 (terms in the series are numbers of letters in words of sentence above it)
2) S (initial letters of numbers in series above)
3) eight (other words have their letters in alphabetical order)
4) comedic (other words formed from odd letters in alphabet)
5) 45 (each term formed by adding previous number to the number of letters needed to spell it). Winner: Mike Paterson (Leamington Spa).Reuse content