pick of the day
Friday 19 January 1996
"Painting", according to rising star Gary Hume, "is an utterly sexual affair." His high gloss, brightly coloured neo-pop paintings are devoted to the pleasure principle and have been described as a celebration of good painting and bad taste.
Spacex Gallery, 45 Preston St, Exeter (01392 431786)
Roger Michell's magnificent BBC film of Jane Austen's darkest novel has been a cinematic hit in the USA. You may have seen it on TV, but can you afford to miss seeing it again on the big screen?
Barbican Cinema, London EC2 6.15, 8.40pm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >