Pop Albums: Curtis Mayfield - New World Order
Curtis Mayfield's first album since his paralysing accident is a typical blend of polemical steel and beatific soft-heartedness, though unsurprisingly, the latter is in the ascendant as he grows older. There's nothing wrong with that, although I could live without the crying baby on the title track and the weeping on "No One Knows About a Good Thing (You Don't Have to Cry)".
What's more worrying is that few of the newer songs can match the lyrical bite of his classic "We People Who Are Darker Than Blue", included here in a less earthy vein than on his 1971 solo debut: "We people who are darker than blue/ Don't let us hang around this town/ And let what others say come true". Only "Here But I'm Gone", a crack addict's blunt self- assessment, comes close to matching its impact. But for the most part, his attitude can best be summed up by "Back To Living Again", his duet with Aretha Franklin: "I don't want to hear about all that's bad/ Because all that's bad just makes me sad". And who could blame him?
filmIn Black Seahe is as audiences have never seen him before
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police