POP: FIVE UNMISSABLE AMERICANS
Saturday 17 April 1999
Flaming Lips Hail the return of Oklahoma City's finest.
Electric Ballroom, NW (07-485 9006) Thur
2 Jon Spencer Blues Explosion Twisted Delta rock'n'roll via New York City.
London Forum, NW5 (07-344 0044) Thur
Elliott Smith Gorgeously melodic songwriting.
Shepherd's Bush Empire, W2 (07-77 2000) Wed
Sleater-Kinney Possibly the best rocking female band right now.
London Forum, NW5 (07-344 0044) Thur; Brighton Pavilion (0273 709709) Fri
Jason & the Scorchers Veteran Nashville rockers play it loud as ever.
Mean Fiddler, NW0 (08-963 0940) tonight
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women