Pop: Lyric Sheets
Friday 09 October 1998
The Would-Be Kings
The cats who would be Elvis
Lined up to take the stand
Inviting tart remarks from
A smirking pick-up band
A Chesterfield grocer
In outsize rhinestone jacket
Was half-way into "Hound Dog"
But found he couldn't hack it
The strain upon the pelvis
From wiggling his hip
Neuralgia in the mornings
From practising The Lip
Had all come down to nothing
The work of all those
The theatre was
As Elvis left in tears
A "GI Blues" from
A "Jailhouse Rock"
A "Teddy Bear" from
Who didn't fit the bill
And as a traffic warden
Was incorrectly dressed
With strong north-eastern
Which nixed the spoken
The month's auditions over
They hadn't found a thing
Except an agent's tip-off
And number left to ring
They dialled the mystery Elvis
And waited as it rang
A person picked the phone up
The voice said: "kd lang..."
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
James Blunt finally admits the truth: 'You're Beautiful' is annoying
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments