Pop: Lyric Sheets: 1998 - A Drear Year
A brief glance back at a fairly uneventful year in pop music
Friday 18 December 1998
Try asking next December
What was big in Ninety-eight?
I bet you won't remember
Costello paired with Bacharach?
It should have worked - I rushed, I paid
It gathers dust upon my rack
The most expensive musak made
Return to stage for Plant and Page
Blur, Oasis treading water
Up to scratch but nothing new
Boy bands, girl bands, factory fresh
Fast-track plans, identi-hits
Sleekly coiffured, choreographed.
Now available as kits
Other chart-space allocations
Share and Cher-alike
Please send my congratulations
Decent tunesmiths all on strike?
Of the three Canadians
Dion, Morissette and Adams
Two have names like vintage cars
One is sir and two are madams
This year's talent, mostly Welsh
First prize to... of course, The Manics
- Melanie plus four mechanics
Welcome back, Massive Attack
Wind up clock, put on pyjamas
Cold and Bouncy by High Llamas
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2013: New pictures released
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Emma Stone: 'Dating Andrew Garfield makes living in LA a lot less fun'
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl Kaychanel featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >