Pop; Sleeve notes
Saturday 09 January 1999
In the main, most of the above proved that it takes more than a successful showbiz father or mother to make it. But in the case of the Webb Brothers, they have the distinct advantage of having the best possible songwriting genes thanks to their father Jimmy Webb, who wrote such classics as "Galveston", "Wichita Lineman" and also "MacArthur Park". However Christian and Justin Webb don't seem to have had much help from their dad, eschewing the LA scene and spending time in Boston before moving to Chicago. Their material is a top-notch brand of laid-back rock with warm melancholic tones; they also seem to have inherited an ear for a tune from the old man. The pair are due to make their first UK appearances this week (see Best Gigs, opposite) and have the excellent "Excerpts from the Biosphere" EP released this week as a limited-edition seven-inch on the Easy Tiger! label.
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Katie Hopkins has just written a piece so hateful that it might give Hitler pause – why was it published?
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Cancel Sky at your peril: man spends 96 minutes in chat but fails to get rid of service
Britain's Got Talent 2015: RSPCA investigating Marc Metral's miming dog after cruelty complaints
Star Wars 7: George Lucas admits he hasn't seen The Force Awakens trailer
Star Wars: Rogue One trailer: Watch the teaser for the Jedi-less Death Star heist film
Avengers: Age of Ultron: 'After credits' scene leaks online
Kevin Spacey's successor at The Old Vic promises a more low-key approach
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate