Monday 05 October 1998
On this deal from the World Senior Pairs event in Lille, however, Nissan Rand (whose combined Israeli, Austrian and Bulgarian team had enjoyed a convincing win in the Senior Teams event) demonstrated that Four Hearts was indeed makeable.
The bidding was straightforward - North opened One Club and South responded Four Hearts to end the auction and West had led the six of diamonds (yes, the queen of spades would have proved more effective) and Nissan won East's ten with his king. At trick two he led a club to the ace (the key play) and ruffed a club in hand. Then, after crossing to the ace of trumps, he ruffed another club.
It all looked like a beginner's mistake - what was being gained by ruffing losers with sure trump winners in the long trump hand? - but by so doing, he had removed all of East's safe exit cards. Declarer now played off all of his remaining trumps to come down to a four-card ending with 475 #95 in hand and 4K8 #Q7 in dummy. Pity poor East! In practice he reduced to 4A10 #AJ (he might have discarded more deceptively) and, reading the position well, Nissan exited with a diamond and East was forced to concede the last trick to dummy's king of spades.
Love all; dealer North
4K 8 4 2
#Q 7 2
2A J 10 8 2
4Q J 6 4A 10 9 3
!10 9 4 3 !6
#6 3 #A J 10 8 4
2K Q 7 6 29 4 3
!K Q J 8 7 5 2
#K 9 5
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 100,000 back our campaign
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up