Quotes of the Week
Saturday 27 February 1999
Dame Thora Hird, actress (above)
"I am told there is a new, tough generation known phonetically as Bananas meaning Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything."
The Prince of Wales
"I am a rebel against strictness and also against logic."
Ken Dodd, comedian
"`Axed' is a negative word. This is a positive, forward move."
The spokesperson for the soon to be discontinued `Noel's House Party'
"The best way to end a canteen culture is to spend more time outside the canteen."
"I am considered attractive by some people and I've been completely ignored by others, so I know that I am somewhere in the middle."
Colin Firth, actor
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 Doctors remove 80 teeth from boy's jaw
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 5 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
Peter Lik: The self-proclaimed 'fine-art photographer' whose work sells for millions
Exodus: Gods and Kings banned in the UAE for 'religious mistakes'
Game of Thrones is most-pirated TV show of 2014
Doctor Who and the BBC 'promoting a gay agenda', viewers complain
Idris Elba responds to James Bond rumours on Twitter
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk