Quotes of the Week
Saturday 28 August 1999
Lord Carrington (above), former Nato secretary general, on Nato's role in the Kosovo conflict
"Cherie Blair comes across badly in photographs but is actually quite attractive."
Jonathan Yeo, portrait painter
"I don't expect him to go around with his mitre and sceptre, but a suit with a dog collar would at least alert people to the fact that he's a bishop."
Sir Robin Day on the Bishop of Edinburgh, Dr Richard Holloway
"It's quite flattering to be hated by so many people at once."
Greg Martin, ex-fiance of Tara Palmer-Tomkinson
"They are not critics, they are success-haters."
Sir Tim Rice, lyricist, on people who pan his work
"Lady Thatcher is looking more and more like an elderly bird of prey."
Sir Julian Critchley, former Tory member of parliament
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women