Radio: Pick of the Day
Friday 26 February 1999
The Friday Play: Cribb and the Black (9pm R4) by Steve Walker, relates with gently ribbing humour, a shameful episode: the bare-knuckle showdown in 1810 between Tom Molineaux, an ex-slave and boxing's then reigning world champion, and Tom Cribb, upon whom England's "pride" rested.
Not the Short One at the Back with the Glasses (11.30pm R4FM) ponders the net result of not being picked for games. A tendency to listen to radio on Friday nights, perhaps.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If you weren't afraid of flying before last week... you probably are now
- 2 Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 4 Lauren Goodger calls for tougher laws on revenge porn after sex tape leaks online
- 5 Iraq crisis: End 'very near' for Christianity after Isis takeover, says Bishop
Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Opponents of Israel's military operation in Gaza are the real enemies of Middle Eastern peace
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia