Restaurants: Big name hunting
Saturday 05 December 1998
New St Square, London EC4 (0171-583 1313)
Brit-food champion Gary Rhodes (above) turns out some of the best boy- food in the UK.
68 Royal Hospital Rd, London SW3 (0171-352 4441)
Former premises of Tante Claire taken over by this celebrated chef who poached many of the staff when he left Aubergine.
49 Frith St, London W1 (0171-734 5183)
Thoughtful Modern British cuisine in decor adored by some and described as "the inside of a fridge" by others.
46 Golborne Rd, London W10 (0181-968 2200)
Three-, four- and five-course set menus served in cosy surroundings, from Anthony "Mr Food & Drink" Worrall Thompson.
30 Clerkenwell Green, London EC1 (0171-251 6606)
Rustic French food served in restful, deep-blue decor.
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 2 How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 5 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
Rupert Murdoch berated Sun journalists for not doing enough to attack Ed Miliband and stop him winning the general election