riffs: Isaac Hayes on Luther Vandross's If Only for One Night
Friday 01 September 1995
The first time I heard it was on the radio one night when I was in that mood the song talks about, getting that lonely attack, and I thought, "Shit, this is just what I need." It's such a mellow track, very soft, with its plea rendered so tenderly. I would say it in just that way; even the musical language is all just the way I would put it.
I have thought very seriously about covering it. But after what Luther did, what else can you do? I thought about putting a rap on the beginning to explain the kind of things that would have taken place to warrant such words of desperation. When I met Luther, he told me, "Isaac, I saw you on stage, you were rehearsing for three hours and I was in the balcony and you were such an influence on me." Nobody knew who Luther was back then. But I was so flattered when he told me. I'm certainly influenced and encouraged by him. He's very talented - his vocal prowess on this song is incredible. You might just hear me cover it if I get up enough nerve.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
Strictly Come Dancing v X Factor: Simon Cowell blasts BBC over scheduling war
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >