Riffs: Jools Holland on Willie Dixon's `Wang Dang Doodle'
Friday 25 October 1996
I first heard the tune being played in a club in 1979 in New York City by Dr John. Fantastic. Strangely, although I'd been into the blues for years, I'd never connected with the song 'til then. Some people say that "wang dang doodle" is gay slang for some sort of, uh, sexual activity; all I know is that to wang dang doodle is to have some sort of a good time.
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
- 2 As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
- 3 The ten most unequal developed countries in the world
- 4 Saudi Arabia 'seeking to head United Nations Human Rights Council'
- 5 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland