Riffs: Jools Holland on Willie Dixon's `Wang Dang Doodle'
Friday 25 October 1996
I first heard the tune being played in a club in 1979 in New York City by Dr John. Fantastic. Strangely, although I'd been into the blues for years, I'd never connected with the song 'til then. Some people say that "wang dang doodle" is gay slang for some sort of, uh, sexual activity; all I know is that to wang dang doodle is to have some sort of a good time.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Stall talk: The arcane rules of chit-chat that take place in the gents'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen