Right of Reply: Derick Bingham
A Belfast pastor replies to remarks about God by Karen Armstrong, a former nun, in a recent interview
Thursday 04 March 1999
Thousands of prisoners had been forced to watch the hanging. Behind him Elie heard the same voice ask, "Where is God now?" Elie then states, "I heard a voice within me answer him: `Where is he? Here He is. He is hanging here on this gallows.'"
Elie spoke better than he knew. The whole Judaeo- Christian position has always been that God is not immune to pain. Is it not written that in the early days of Israel's frightening bondage in Egypt, "in all their distress he too was distressed"? The Christian position has always been that Christ is primarily known as the "Man of Sorrows".
Whatever view is taken of the Christian position, it cannot be denied that its historic and central message is God on a cross. In a world filled with suffering, how could we worship a God who is immune to it? The cross of Christ is God's only self-justification in a world such as ours. As Edward Shiletto wrote, when shattered by the carnage of the First World War, "But to our wounds only God's wounds can speak and not a god has wounds but Thou alone."
His suffering makes ours more manageable. This is the God of history and the Christian message is not that He died at Auschwitz but that He died at Calvary, and, at Easter, millions celebrate His Resurrection.
Arts & Ents blogs
Stall talk: The arcane rules of chit-chat that take place in the gents'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lady Gaga attacked by Noel Gallagher in 2013 music rant
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >