Royal Mail Competition: The answer is a lemon
Monday 08 November 1993
'Still puzzling over those Royal Mail puzzles, Watson?', asked Sherlock Holmes. 'You've missed the deadline for entering their competition, you know.'
'I'd still like to know the answers,' said the doctor, as he stood up to leave.
'United States, Stradivarius, Athens, pounds 1.33 and The Napoleon of Crime,' said Holmes, brusquely.
'But why . . . ' spluttered Watson.
'I thought I explained it all at the time', answered the great detective. 'Don't forget to water the citrus limon on your way out.'
'What's a citrus limon, Holmes', asked Dr Watson.
'A lemon tree, my dear Watson'.
The winner of the Royal Mail Sherlock Holmes competition and the week's holiday in Switzerland is Andrew Charters of Manchester. The runners up, who will each receive a copy of The Penguin Complete Sherlock Holmes are Mrs B Cox of Plymouth, R Mann of Moreton-in-Marsh and Peter Harris of Rugby.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- 5 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Pride: Are US film censors pandering to homophobia?
Kylie Minogue Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican named highest-selling female comedians
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >