Sir Elton John 'recovering well' after operation to remove his appendix
The singer was forced to pull out of a string of performances after being diagnosed with appendicitis
Sir Elton John has had his appendix removed and is recovering well, his publicist confirmed on Saturday.
He underwent the operation at Monaco's Princess Grace Hospital on Thursday and is understood to be recuperating at his home in Nice, France.
The star was forced to cancel a series of performances after being diagnosed with appendicitis in July.
The veteran musician said at the time he felt "grateful to be alive", revealing that he could have died at any point while struggling through his European tour, unaware he was suffering from the condition.
Sir Elton, 66, told The Sun: "I was a ticking time bomb. I guess I could have died at any time.
The chart star said he performed 10 concerts in pain, which he had thought was due to food poisoning, but was finally forced to walk off stage during a concert in Halle, Germany, on 5 July.
Doctors advised him to cancel all the dates on his current tour, including a headline performance at London's Hyde Park last month.
A statement on behalf of the singer said he had been diagnosed with an "appendix abscess surrounding retrocaecal appendicitis".
He is expected to be well enough to attend an event in central London on 2 September at which he will perform and welcome a number of guests.
In a message on his official website, Sir Elton thanked his fans for their support.
"I would like to thank the literally thousands of people who have sent me get well cards and messages over the past two weeks," he wrote. "Your well wishes have touched me deeply and will play a big part in my recovery.
"I cannot wait to see you all and thank you in person when I resume my concert schedule later this year. In the meantime, please know that I consider myself a very blessed man to have such caring and considerate fans."
It is the latest in a series of health scares for the singer.
Last year he cancelled a number of shows as a result of a respiratory infection which struck him during a series of US dates. He also missed concerts due to a bout of food poisoning.
He had a pacemaker fitted in 1999 after doctors found he had an irregular heartbeat.
Sir Elton has recently been promoting his forthcoming album The Diving Board, which is due to be released on 16 September.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
Secret Cinema: Why were Back to the Future screenings cancelled?
Game of Thrones season 4 blooper reel unveiled at Comic-Con 2014
Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 teaser trailer sees Katniss lead rebellion against the Capitol
The Simpsons Family Guy trailer: First look at crossover episode after Comic-Con debut
Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman unveiled
The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
Opponents of Israel's military operation in Gaza are the real enemies of Middle Eastern peace