The Independent Recommends
The Dream Life of Angels (18)
Erick Zonca's debut draws its strength from the contrasting personalities of Isa (Elodie Bouchez) and Marie (Natacha Regnier), whose friendship comes alive in the drab environs of Lille.
The Opposite of Sex (18)
Christina Ricci (right) plays bitch-on-wheels Dedee, shooting from the lip and causing havoc when she moves in with her mild-mannered brother. Don Roos's script bristles with acidulous one-liners.
The Truman Show (PG)
Peter Weir's ingenious, unsettling fantasy is, in the end, an escape movie - in the case of Truman Burbank, it's breaking out of the round- the-clock TV docu-soap that is his own life.
Darren Aronofsky's debut, filmed in sooty black-and-white, tells the story of a genius mathematician. Stylish indie movie which fearlessly combines Wall Street, Jewish mysticism and nightmarish headaches.
Computer-animated comedy voiced by a stellar cast features Woody Allen as a worker ant who becomes an unlikely war hero and opponent of the colony's totalitarian regime. Terrific fun.
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
They're back, they're big – and they're still spectacularly boringfilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Scottish independence: Former pro-union voters explain why they changed their minds to the Yes vote
- 3 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 4 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 5 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories