The Independent recommends: Film
On limited release
The Velvet Goldmine events at the Edinburgh Film Festival continue today with a "scene by scene" talk from the picture's writer-director, Todd Haynes, in which he illustrates a discussion of his work with excerpts. And you can catch his chilling 1995 drama Safe, about a woman who becomes mysteriously allergic to her environment. Go for originality and magic, not answers.
`Safe' 12.30pm; Todd Haynes 7pm, Edinburgh Filmhouse (0131-623 8030)
Arts & Ents blogs
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
Sat in a hotel lobby amidst a music conference in Aarhus around 4am in is a great way to argue, and ...
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 Ukip captures Labour fortress in South Yorkshire by-election
- 4 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.