The Independent Recommends: Literature
Friday 06 November 1998
Aldeburgh Poetry Festival, Jubilee Hall, Aldeburgh, Suffolk (01728 453543) today, 7 & 8 Nov
"I feel like I've got five years to live," says one of Lorrie Moore's characters, asthmatically hacking through New York City pollution, "so I'm moving back to Iowa so that it'll feel like 50." The engaging American short-story star relates more mordant observations about disappointed pet-loving home-town folk when she talks about her new collection, Birds of America, with Nick Hornby.
Barbican Cinema 3, Silk St, London EC2 (0171-638 8891) 7.30pm
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Arts & Ents blogs
Heavy rain and years of 'benign neglect' may have caused Apollo Theatre roof collapse
Christmas TV guide 2013: Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
Justin Bieber isn't retiring from music after all
The Harry Hill Movie, film review: Screenplay isn't so much offbeat as utterly feeble
- 1 Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 5 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- < Previous
- Next >