The Independent Recommends: Pop
Wednesday 26 August 1998
City Hall, Salisbury (01722 327 6767) 7.30pm
Finding a place to do a warm-up gig for a Reading headline performance when you are as famous as Jimmy Page and Robert Plant isn't that easy. The poor things have had to opt for this 7,500-capacity arena to play out material from their recent Walking into Clarksdale album, as well as Led Zeppelin standards.
Point Depot, Dublin (00353 1 836 6777) 7.30pm
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Stall talk: The arcane rules of chit-chat that take place in the gents'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen