The Independent Recommends: The Five Best Films
Christina Ricci (right) plays 16-year-old bitch-on-wheels Dedee, causing havoc when she moves in with her brother (Martin Donovan).
Darren Aronofsky's debut, filmed in sooty black-and-white, tells the story of a genius mathematician. This stylish indie movie fearlessly combines Wall Street, Jewish mysticism and nightmarish headaches.
Shakespeare in Love (15)
This enjoyable romp suggests how romance fired Shakespeare with the creative inspiration for Romeo and Juliet. Joseph Fiennes and Gwyneth Paltrow head a multi-star cast.
The Dream Life of Angels (18)
Erick Zonca's remarkable debut draws its strength from the contrasting personalities of Isa (Elotie Bouchez) and Marie (Natacha Regnier), whose friendship comes alive in Lille.
The Truman Show (PG)
Peter Weir's ingenious, unsettling fantasy is, in the end, an escape movie - in the case of Truman Burbank (Jim Carrey), it's breaking out of the round-the-clock TV docu-soap that is his own life.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'