THE INFORMATION ON: `Nymph Errant'
Friday 13 August 1999
Roger Redfarn's inspired revival of Cole Porter's "forgotten" musical (originally composed in 1933 for Gertrude Lawrence) based on a comic novel by James Laver, a curator at the V&A museum, about a young English virgin who leaves her Swiss finishing school determined to have some fun.
Who's In It?
A versatile band of seven actors successfully suggest a cast of thousands. Rae Baker, in the Gertrude Lawrence role, is delightful as Evangeline on the trail of Mr Right, while Mark Adams is particularly entertaining playing all of her male protectors.
What They Say About It
"Part of the pleasure of director Redfarn's witty revival comes from the cheekily resourceful manner in which this globe-trotting picaresque joke of a show has been scaled down for the Minerva," Paul Taylor, The Independent.
"The most irresistible, inanely irrepressible hit of the summer... a night of dizzy, daffy delight," Charles Spencer, The Daily Telegraph.
"A brisk, sensibly scaled-down revival that is certainly a collector's item," Michael Billington, The Guardian.
Where You Can See It
Nymph Errant is at the Minerva Theatre, Chichester (01243 7811312) to 4 Sept
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget