The information on 'The Straight Story'
Monday 06 December 1999
David Lynch eschews wild at heart in favour of mild at heart for his latest film: an irresistibly quirky road movie, based on a true story, about an old man who embarks on a 300-mile journey by tractor-mower to visit his sick brother.
Who's In It?
Richard Farnsworth gives a strong, and often moving, performance as Alvin Straight, the 73-year-old inching his way along the roadside. Oscar-winner Sissy Spacek plays his grown-up daughter.
What They Say About It
"Not since Easy Rider has the burnished autumnal landscape of mid-America been brought so rapturously alive... there's something irresistible about its heartwarming belief in American decency," Anthony Quinn, The Independent.
"The movie's position in Lynch's corpus of work raises questions but, on its own terms, it has a marvellous simplicity and candour, blessed with a wonderful performance from Richard Farnsworth: a thoroughly satisfying and affecting piece of work," Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian.
"Few films feature people observing so many simple courtesies or committing small acts of kindness. Because it's a David Lynch film, The Straight Story, so uninflected with irony, is almost eerie," David Gritten, The Daily Telegraph.
Where You Can See It
The Straight Story (U, 112 mins ) is on general release.
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans