Friday 13 January 1995
Kane (right) directed shows at the Edinburgh Festival and, like most directors, has had to endure casting nightmares. Not this time. "It was a massive relief to sit through auditions where no-one was bad." Good thing, too. Her writing has an astonishing power and makes serious demands of its cast.
"Everyone has worked really honestly on the play, so even if it's a disaster, there won't be anyone to blame. I have been helped to understand my writing. James finds things I didn't consciously put there. I hope the production can realise the theatricalimages, that's what I'm most proud of." She laughs. "Personally I believe in the play fairy: you wake up one morning and there's a play on your desk. You've spent a year on it but you didn't realise you were doing it. I'm hoping she'll come an d visit me agin soon: I have a Royal Court commission due in two months' time."
`Blasted' is previewing at the Theatre Upstairs and opens on Tuesday (071-730 2554)
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
- 4 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God