Friday 13 January 1995
Kane (right) directed shows at the Edinburgh Festival and, like most directors, has had to endure casting nightmares. Not this time. "It was a massive relief to sit through auditions where no-one was bad." Good thing, too. Her writing has an astonishing power and makes serious demands of its cast.
"Everyone has worked really honestly on the play, so even if it's a disaster, there won't be anyone to blame. I have been helped to understand my writing. James finds things I didn't consciously put there. I hope the production can realise the theatricalimages, that's what I'm most proud of." She laughs. "Personally I believe in the play fairy: you wake up one morning and there's a play on your desk. You've spent a year on it but you didn't realise you were doing it. I'm hoping she'll come an d visit me agin soon: I have a Royal Court commission due in two months' time."
`Blasted' is previewing at the Theatre Upstairs and opens on Tuesday (071-730 2554)
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
The real reason Eddie Redmayne was cast as a trans woman in The Danish Girl
First Look at Bryan Cranston transformed into LBJ for HBO’s ‘All the Way’ film
Idris Elba is ‘too street’ to play 007, says James Bond author
This little boy loves books so much that he cries when his mother stops reading to him
Does this Game of Thrones season 6 filming location give away an important character death?
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 100,000 back our campaign
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up