Edinburgh Festival preview: Theatre - The Events, Soloman and Marion and Making News
Sunday 28 July 2013
The Events is set to cause a stir at the Traverse (traverse.co.uk, Wed to 25 Aug): David Greig's new play contemplates a politically motivated attack and the limits of forgiveness.
Assembly's South African Season includes Janet Suzman in Laura Foot's Solomon and Marion (assemblyfestival.com, Thu to 16 Aug), a chamber piece focusing on persistent social divisions and redemption. Making News satirically depicts the BBC in meltdown, as a huge Corporation scandal breaks. Phill Jupitus plays the Director-General in this Pleasance premiere (pleasance.co.uk, Wed to 25 Aug).
Face to watch: Fast-rising actress Phoebe Waller-Bridge is also flexing her play-writing muscles. She's performing Fleabag, her in-your-face comic tale of an urban twentysomething at Underbelly (underbelly.co.uk, Thu to 15 Aug.)
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland