Fringe notes: 17/08/2010
Tuesday 17 August 2010
The Book Festival has a tempting new late-night programme, Unbound, this year.
Highlights include a 'McSweeney's' event with the publishing house's Eli Horowitz, Words with A L Kennedy and Canongate's Irregular literary club night. *Not sure what to see next? At Josie Long's show, you get a handy programme with a page of the comedian's recommendations. Her "absolute top tip" is Claudia O'Doherty in 'Monster of the Deep 3D'. Roisin Conaty, Edward Aczel and 'Ashdown and Maskell's Trade Show' also get the nod.
After-hours hub The Loft enjoyed an injection of cool at the weekend when McNulty and Lester Freamon called in for a beer on the terrace. Dominic West was in town to see his old 'Wire' pal, Clarke Peters, in 'Five Guys Named Moe'.
Joke of the day
"I went out with a sat nav once, but it wasn't really going anywhere."
Arts & Ents blogs
One Direction urge fans to lobby George Osborne about corporate tax avoidance
What are the best first lines in fiction?
EDL Girls: Don't Call Me Racist, BBC3 - TV review: EDL Angel gets into a right muddle
Russell Crowe's Noah banned in three Arab countries before worldwide premiere
Call The Midwife: Jessica Raine leaves in series three finale
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow