Laura Mugridge's intimate tales in a campervan
Friday 06 May 2011
Laura Mugridge's debut solo theatre show takes place in a 1978 vintage VW campervan called Joni. The show Running on Air is seen by five audience members at a time. It debuted at the Edinburgh Festival last year, where it picked up a Fringe First award and has just started a tour of the UK.
The show is split into three journeys: the first recalls when Mugridge picked up the campervan from Edinburgh in 2009 and it broke down several times, the second is a journey to Cornwall and the third is a story that takes place on top of a mountain.
"Last year when I'd started writing the show I was feeling lost and my husband challenged me to do a gig on top of a mountain," says Mugridge. "There was no audience, only three kestrels, but it was really important for me and I wanted to talk about that gig in my show. It's about celebrations and those tiny moments."
But why a campervan as the setting? "I was actually sitting in Joni trying to think of a little space, when I realised that the campervan makes sense. It's a magical place away from the outside world."
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 2 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 3 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
- 4 Iraq crisis: How Saudi Arabia helped Isis take over the north of the country
- 5 Barack Obama fist bumps Texas restaurant employee in support of gay rights
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action