Play of the week: A Time to Reap, Royal Court, London SW1
Friday 08 March 2013
One of Poland's hottest political topics – abortion and the Catholic Church – drives 22-year-old Anna Wakulik's extraordinary three-hander.
Caroline Steinbeis's superb production releases and focuses the play's fierce energies as it veers between vivid interaction and confessional commentary. Not an "issue" play in a narrow sense, it plunges us into the messy predicament of a gynaecologist who performs illegal "procedures" and a 17-year-old impregnated by consensual sex with a priest.
Owen Teale, Max Bennett and Sinead Matthews are brilliant in this resoundingly recommended UK premiere.
020 7565 5000; royalcourttheatre.com to 23 March
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The political parties aren't all the same – which means 2015 will be a 'big-choice' election
- 2 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 Naomi Wolf reacts to Isis 'conspiracy theories' critism after she questions whether beheading videos are real
Peter Lik: The self-proclaimed 'fine-art photographer' whose work sells for millions
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The golden age of TV comedy is here
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
From Marvel to Star Wars: The rise of cinema’s shared universes
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Katie Hopkins speaks out on childhood obesity: 'Parents of fat children should be prosecuted for child cruelty'