Play of the week: Chimerica, Harold Pinter Theatre, London SW1
Friday 02 August 2013
The mystery at the centre of Lucy Kirkwood's play, transferred to the Harold Pinter Theatre after a lauded opening at the Almeida, resides in one of the most evocative photographs of the last century: that of the unidentified Tank Man in Tiananmen Square in 1989.
Kirkwood here assigns this photograph to the fictional snapper Joe Schofield, played in a whirring narrative of sleuthing and newspaper politics by Stephen Campbell Moore. In Lyndsey Turner's smart, entertaining production, the action jumps fruitfully from past Chinese history to an immersion in present-day American politics.
020 7359 4404, Tuesday to 19 October
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >