The top ten: Malapropisms
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 04 May 2014
This one was Nick Thornsby's idea. As Mrs Malaprop says in Sheridan's play 'The Rivals', 'If I reprehend anything in this world it is the use of my oracular tongue, and a nice derangement of epitaphs.'
1. 'She's as headstrong as an allegory on the banks of the Nile' Mrs Malaprop. Thanks to Adrian Hilton.
2. 'It's great to be back on terra cotta' John Prescott after a stormy flight, 1999.
3. 'I am a person who recognises the fallacy of humans' George W Bush to Oprah Winfrey. Nominated by Alex Massie.
4. 'The world is your lobster, my son' Arthur Daley. Suggested by Graham Brickley.
5. 'I'm as happy as a sandbag' A friend of Alistair Gray's. "She has an unconscious gift. She also said something was 'a bit of a damp squid'."
6. 'Cow-towing to the Americans' Daily Telegraph report of criticism of New Labour by Ian Davidson, Labour MP. Did this involve pulling cattle behind a boat?
7. 'He eludes confidence' William Bratton, Los Angeles police chief, of Barack Obama's second inaugural speech, 2009.
8. 'It's not rocket fuel' Henry McLeish, former Scottish First Minister, to John Swinney, SNP leader. From Euan McColm.
9. 'If I don't want to serve someone, that is my provocative' Landlord to Lloyd Bracey, who worked in a pub as a student.
10. 'Chocolate peripherals' Hugh Kellett's great aunt's dessert order.
Next week: Songs that most people think mean the opposite of what they mean.
Coming soon: Metatheses (transposition of sounds in words; for example, bird used to be brid). Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to email@example.com
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
Game of Thrones really doesn't want Danny Dyer - EastEnders star rejected three times
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
25 years of Disney: How Darth Vader, Iron Man, Elsa and Pixar's geniuses helped the company conquer the world (again)
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
King Abdullah dead: We can't afford not to hold Saudi Arabia's royals to account