The top ten: Malapropisms
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 04 May 2014
This one was Nick Thornsby's idea. As Mrs Malaprop says in Sheridan's play 'The Rivals', 'If I reprehend anything in this world it is the use of my oracular tongue, and a nice derangement of epitaphs.'
1. 'She's as headstrong as an allegory on the banks of the Nile' Mrs Malaprop. Thanks to Adrian Hilton.
2. 'It's great to be back on terra cotta' John Prescott after a stormy flight, 1999.
3. 'I am a person who recognises the fallacy of humans' George W Bush to Oprah Winfrey. Nominated by Alex Massie.
4. 'The world is your lobster, my son' Arthur Daley. Suggested by Graham Brickley.
5. 'I'm as happy as a sandbag' A friend of Alistair Gray's. "She has an unconscious gift. She also said something was 'a bit of a damp squid'."
6. 'Cow-towing to the Americans' Daily Telegraph report of criticism of New Labour by Ian Davidson, Labour MP. Did this involve pulling cattle behind a boat?
7. 'He eludes confidence' William Bratton, Los Angeles police chief, of Barack Obama's second inaugural speech, 2009.
8. 'It's not rocket fuel' Henry McLeish, former Scottish First Minister, to John Swinney, SNP leader. From Euan McColm.
9. 'If I don't want to serve someone, that is my provocative' Landlord to Lloyd Bracey, who worked in a pub as a student.
10. 'Chocolate peripherals' Hugh Kellett's great aunt's dessert order.
Next week: Songs that most people think mean the opposite of what they mean.
Coming soon: Metatheses (transposition of sounds in words; for example, bird used to be brid). Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to email@example.com
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea's 'Booty' music video is just a load of butts
Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written
The Walking Dead season 5 synopsis: Spoilers and existential questions revealed
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes