The Year in Review: Best dance of 2010
Friday 24 December 2010
Natalia Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev, Bolshoi Ballet
Royal Opera House, London
The Bolshoi Ballet's visit was dominated by two stars: Vasiliev was a fiery, impassioned Spartacus; Osipova was a delightful Swanilda and a scary, corpse bride Giselle. Together, they danced a sensational Don Quixote, tearing through the steps with outrageous glee.
L'Allegro, il Penseroso ed il Moderato, Mark Morris Dance Group
How often does dance make you cry with joy? Mark Morris's L'allegro is a radiant masterpiece, evoking Milton's and Handel's pastoral world in bright colours and blissful dancing.
Susan & Darren
Sadler's Wells, London
Darren Pritchard and his mum Susan dance and talk about their lives in this touching show. It's unnervingly open, sometimes horrifying and often very funny.
Gnosis, Akram Khan Company
Khan drew on his classical Kathak training in a dance built around blindness, ending with the extraordinary image of Khan as a woman in a fire, shaking like flames in the wind.
Cinderella , Birmingham Royal Ballet
In a year of Cinderellas, David Bintley's new production was the winner, with superb designs by John Macfarlane, some good jokes and a tender heart.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter