Can Judd Apatow go from The 40 Year Old Virgin to Broadway? And still be funny?
Alice Jones' Arts Diary
Since his breakout hit, The 40 Year Old Virgin, Judd Apatow has barely been out of the multiplexes, writing, producing or directing some 18 movies since 2005. Now he has his eye on Broadway.
“I miss doing something where I’m interacting more with the audience. I like the idea of writing something and rewriting it every night based on how it’s playing”, he told GQ.
Apatow started out in stand-up, MC-ing at Improv, a comedy club in Hollywood before becoming a screenwriter. “I have a great idea. Maybe, like, the best idea I’ve ever had. It requires me to create characters and situations that have absolutely nothing to do with my experience.”
He has already started writing the play which will have a “social conscience” and will deal with “the victims of the criminal-justice system and the challenges they face”.
Will it be as funny as his films? “I don’t know yet. I think it will. But it might stop being funny.”
Also in the Arts Diary
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures