Musicals: Saviour of the West End? Moyles hits Theatreland
Having hung up his headphones as host of Radio 1's breakfast show, Chris Moyles' new career begins this Friday when he stars as King Herod in Jesus Christ Superstar in an arena tour.
Let's hope he fares better than previous Radio 1 DJs who have attempted a similar crossover. Kenny Everett appeared in 1991's The Hunting of the Snark, a lavish adaptation of Lewis Carroll's nonsense poem. Despite reportedly costing £2.1m, it only managed a seven-week run. Mike Read was forced to scrap his musical account of Oscar Wilde's life after press night.
Others have had better success. Phillip Schofield took on the title role in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat to great acclaim. And Jerry Springer's performance as Billy Flynn in Chicago was described as "an absolute hoot".
But perhaps the strangest is yet to come. Last week Mike Tyson announced: "I want to dance and sing." Hopefully Wicked is hiring.
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments