War Horse author Michael Morpurgo writes new play about WW1 Christmas truce
Sunday 24 March 2013
War Horse author Michael Morpurgo has written a new play about the Christmas truce of the First World War.
His latest work focuses on the football match played by German and British troops on no man’s land on Christmas day 1914. The two sides sang carols and exchanged cigarettes and military souvenirs.
A shorter version of the play will be performed on the Ypres battlefield to mark the centenary of the war’s outbreak, according to the Sunday Telegraph.
Virginia McKenna, best known for her role in the 1966 film Born Free, admitted that she has been cast in the project.
“When I heard that Michael Morpurgo wanted me for this production, I was so excited,” she said. “I jumped at the chance to do it. I think he is a genius. War Horse was simply fantastic, and this new work about the football match is so brilliant.”
The 81-year-old continued: “To have the opportunity to be part of it at Ypres, where it took place, on the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War, where so many men lost their lives, will, I’m sure, be a deeply emotional occasion and one to remember.”
The actress said the cast would be “doing a version of it” during a break in War Horse at the New London Theatre in the not too distant future.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world