When Women Wee gets screen adaption from Iron Lady producer
Alice Jones' Arts Diary
It was, it has to be said, one of the most unprepossessingly titled shows in Edinburgh Festival memory. Now When Women Wee is being turned into a film by Damian Jones, the powerhouse producer of The Iron Lady.
Shooting has just wrapped on the all-female comedy, starring Sheridan Smith, Jaime Winstone and Kate Nash, which lifts the lid (ahem) on the goings-on in a nightclub ladies toilet. MJ Delaney, who had a YouTube hit with her Alicia Keys spoof, “Newport State of Mind”, directs.
The show, co-written by Rachel Hirons, and devised at the Oval House Theatre around “uninhibited” interviews with 25 women about their loo break chatter on a night out, played at the Fringe in 2011 to a series of surprise rave reviews. The film will stay true to the ribald, no-holds-barred spirit of the original in all but name. On the big screen, it will go by the rather more fragrant title of Powder Room.
Also in the arts diary
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 3 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 4 Britney Spears sings 'Alien' without Auto-Tune in embarrassingly brilliant leaked audio clip
- 5 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations