Will it be a Golden Ticket? Sam Mendes' Charlie and the Chocolate Factory opens tonight
Tuesday 25 June 2013
Oscar-winning director Sam Mendes will treat audiences to a musical feast when his new stage version of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory opens in the West End tonight.
Stars including Uma Thurman, Lily Allen, Sarah Jessica Parker and her husband Matthew Broderick are expected to attend the opening night of the new production at London's Theatre Royal Drury Lane.
Based on the much loved children's book by Roald Dahl, the show features all new songs and music, along with spectacular set and costume designs recreating the world of Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.
Douglas Hodge stars as eccentric factory boss Willy Wonka, while the cast also includes former Young Ones star Nigel Planer as Grandpa Joe, and young newcomer Jack Costello as Charlie Bucket.
The story sees Charlie become one of the few lucky children to find a Golden Ticket and win a tour of the top secret sweet factory, run by the Oompa-Loompas.
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'