Helen Lederer, Assembly Rooms, Edinburgh
Fabulous? Absolutely not sweetie
For most people, Lederer will be familiar from her appearances in Absolutely Fabulous . "Finger Food" is where Absolutely Fabulous meets Light Lunch with Mel and Sue. Sadly we are talking about the later series of Ab Fab here where excess is less.
There is a promising start for the yarn about Bella Le Pard, a failing television presenter who is trying to resurrect her career after her stint on "When Vicars Attack". We join her standing in for the regular presenter on the "Finger Food" cookery programme, vying with her love-struck floor manager and unimpressed director. There are moments when Le Pard's antics, such giving a Brazilian wax to a coconut and her snide quips about estuary English, remind you of the better moments of Ab Fab . The slapstick that ensues when the host returns is reminiscent of Tiswas .
Before the evening began the audience was offered a shot of Cointreau. A stiff drink after the show would be advisable.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Barbarians vs Samoa interrupted by sprinklers as fans criticise lack of Wi-Fi and poor seating at West Ham's Olympic Stadium
- 2 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 3 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 4 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
Edinburgh Fringe 2015: Monty Python-inspired Australian Sam Simmons wins comedy award with 'very silly' show
X Factor hopeful Mason Noise: 'How is Cheryl Fernandez-Versini in the music business, let alone a judge?'
Game of Thrones season 6: Director promises most exciting premiere yet 'starts off with a bang'
Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Online toy marathon to launch new film
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says jobless migrants should be banned from entering the UK