Wyndham's Theatre, London
Theatre review: Barking In Essex
Sunday 22 September 2013
What is it? The premiere of the late Clive Exton’s 2005 foul-mouthed comedy about a family of hapless Essex criminals, starring Lee Evans, Sheila Hancock, and Keeley Hawes.
The Independent says: “It’s a promising premise for a black farce, but Exton’s stop-go plotting and the sagging patches in Harry Burton’s production prevent the material from developing any comic momentum … What you’re left with is crude, relentless mockery of the Essex brigade’s stupidity and skewed materialist values.”
They say: The Telegraph: “Wonderfully funny. Imagine a cross between Mike Leigh’s Abigail’s Party and Quentin Tarantino’s Reservoir Dogs … not a show that will appeal to everyone, but those who like their comedy black, blue, and raucous will have a ball.”
What's on Stage: “So bad it’s almost a collector’s item … just irredeemably and gloriously bad. There are no other contestants in this year’s ‘Worst Play of the Year’ category: this has scooped the pool already!”
You say: @kitrey50: “May be the funniest play I have ever seen. Like EastEnders on steroids.”
@WildWebWhispers: “Poke yourself in the eye, or clean the toilet, you’ll enjoy it far more”
Details: to 4 Jan; barkinginessex.co.uk.
Broadcaster unveils Christmas scheduleTV
Jeff Fletcher found fame in 1990s
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict